Sunday, September 25, 2005

Live from Mt. Aso (Almost)

How do you count when you're traveling? Does the day you arrived count as the first day? OK, then this is our fourth day in Kumamoto, Kyushu. Phew. It feels like we've been here for about four hours. Time flies when one is trying to get a small boy to sleep in strange places and eating at restaurant after restaurant after restaurant.
Did I say awhile back that I want to go out to eat more? Or did I think it to myself planning to blog it sometime? Either way, my wish came true. We've been out to eat 18 times since we arrived. Maybe I exaggerate, but every time is worth two or three...for me, it's not quite all it's cracked up to be when Koji is in orbit around the table and I hear myself saying *sit down sit DOWN SIT DOWN SIT DOWN PLEASE NOW* and exactly nothing happens.
In any case, we've been to Kumamoto Castle and to visit Aogu's 83 year old maternal grandmother (who liked my carrot cake) and to Mt. Aso and to Aso Farmland Village and the Animal Kingdom within. This "animal kingdom" was more like a petting zoo in the corner, but Koji had as much fun as if it had been an actual Kingdom. He fed duck snacks to ducks, carrots to goats and picked up little turtles and let them crawl around on his hands like a pro. He also petted everything that moved, unless it was way bigger than him (the llama and the ostriches were out). It was well worth the 600 yen each Aogu and I had to pay to get in there with him.
More soon!
Oh, and Happy Wedding Day to Erika and Thomas! I suppose the moment hasn't quite arrived LA time, but it's the 25th here so I say OMEDETO!

3 comments:

Jane said...

I was SO excited to see you blogging away from home! :-) Thanks from me personally for the news. I can only imagine the sit down scenes. (I can imagine them fairly well, actually!) One thing about being away from "the room" it makes it sweet to be back. Did you make the carrot cake there, or perhaps take it with you?? Sounds like you're having a great time. Hello to all your family there. xox

Jane said...

Wow, just checked out Thomas and Erika's complete web site. Great pictures and stories! How could I assume I didn't know them and completely ignore your link until Craig pointed it out to me. Duh!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a owl t shirtmerchant site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees