Sunday, November 22, 2009

Family Day

A blog I read recently mentioned a "Family Day" where each member of the family, including the kids, got to say what they wanted to do, and then the whole family did those things together. Great idea! And a perfect way for us to make a plan for our wide open Saturday.

First, we went out and played tennis with our friends Jennifer P. and the Jeff H. family. That's what I wanted to do. Next time I hope my serves go in.

Then, in a act of semi-retroactive planning, we sat down and talked about our family day and each person's desire. Aogu wanted to take a nap, Koji wanted to play Settlers, and Izumi wanted to go to the park.

So that's what we did for the rest of the day, and it was a great day! Have to note here that while we were at the park we played the "challenge" game. Koji and I made it up because just playing at the park can sometimes be too boring. We take turns making up a "challenge" and then race through and try to complete it first. It's things like "run backwards to touch five trees and then come back to this spot" or "run to those bleachers, run to the top and back down, climb up the side of the play structure and slide down" etc.

Went to Target, grabbed a Redbox movie along the way. It was Appaloosa and I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it much more than than I expected. It's a western and features Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. The dialogue and the plot don't go right along well-worn Western plot lines though, so I recommend it. Yes, there are a few F words, and of course people get shot down, but it's a well-told story. Give it a chance! Apparently it was a book first. Think I'll be off to the library tomorrow because I can't resist vocabulary words in unlikely places (watch the movie and you'll know what I mean).

No comments: