Sunday, January 22, 2006

Palak Paneer and Other Culinary Failures

Perhaps because I didn't have much affordable access to herbs and spices in Japan, now that I do, I'm in the mood to cook experimentally. As you might expect, the results are mixed, at best.

Take yesterday and today. Yesterday, I got out Indian Home Cooking and decided to "whip up" (is it possible to whip up something that one has never tried before? I just got tired of saying "make"...) some palak paneer. You can click on that link, or I'll just tell you that it's a spinach dish with cubes of cheese. It may not sound appetizing, but it works out well for those who like spinach and cheese. That would be me.

But not Aogu, apparently, and that's the reason the dish was a failure. As far as I could tell, it turned out pretty well. The recipe I had wasn't for the creamy palak paneer that restaurants serve, but it was still very flavorful, and I suppose lower calorie as a bonus? In any case, he didn't like the spices, or he thought it was a little weird to combine spinach and cheese...? He couldn't even eat it all, which is a strong statement of how much it didn't agree with him. Mid-meal, I had to whip out some Japanese leftovers to bring him back to his senses.

As I was saying, I like spinach and cheese, and I like them together. Furthermore, this palak paneer tastes good to me. Hope I'll still be saying that in a few days after I've been eating it every day for lunch (or breakfast?).

Today, I failed in the baking department and there are no qualifiers like, "the cookies were delicious for him though I didn't care for them". No, they were just molasses and ginger flavored hockey pucks that were best for everyone when left in the garbage bin. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

No comments: