Wednesday, October 26, 2005

All I've Got When I'm Packing Up:Randomness

Those of you who know me well will refuse to believe this, because it's not yet the night before we're leaving Tokyo, but it's true: I've started packing. Don't worry too much though; I'm not nearly finished and if I don't pick up the pace, I'll be on schedule for the usual all-nighter that I have to pull just before departing on a journey/move. Note that I NEVER successfully pulled an all-nighter back when I was in university and actually needed to...

So, in the spirit of the state of this room I present you with a few connected-to-nothing-but-me photos from the last couple of weeks.
On the left you see a sandwich, but perhaps if you peer closely, you will note that the bread is an alarming hue of grayish-black. No, I didn't burn the toast, though that talent does run hot in my veins. Rather, this was a special bread that I ordered from the
co-op grocery delivery service I've praised here before (and as I've also mentioned before, if I wasn't such a doofus I would know how to link back to my own words about it...some day I'll figure out how to use this site, and then it'll be time for me to switch to another platform I don't understand...). The package said something that looked to me like 炭 which means coal. Hm. Well, it didn't taste like coal. My ham and cheese with Maille Tarragon & White Wine Mustard was delicious. Alas, the piece of toast at the bottom of the page that I slicked with blueberry jam for Koji was not as happily eaten. Sure, he claimed, 黒いパン食べたい! [want to eat black bread!] before-hand, but when it was right in front of him he was more content to pick the blueberries off and then lick the jam...one out of two ain't bad.


To the right, we note Koji's propensity for arranging objects--in this case, his car collection--into rows. This night he was feeling especially particular, so he went on to top each car with a triangle, heart or circle. Thanks to Grandma Jane for supplying the shapes!





Left: we see Mr. Arranger hard at work on an onigiri, which is the Japanese version of a sandwich. That is, it's a ball of rice with something hidden inside, or sometimes mixed through out the rice and then, often but not always, covered with a sheet of seaweed. Does anyone care to speculate about how it could be that a small boy won't touch anything called "vegetable" but peels the nori (seaweed) off his onigiri, ingests the entire sheet with an enthusiam usually reserved for cookies, and then begs for another? Me either.

Here's the aftermath of Koji's first experience with face painting, and I suppose it was riotously sucessfully. That is, this red car caused two riots: first one after Aogu washed the car away for bed-time. Second, the following morning when I wasn't able to respond affirmatively to requests for the red car to be put back on.



Last and certainly least, here is a photo of the inside of our closet before I started packing. It's not noteworthy for the stellar organization found within; rather, I'm impressed that this is the space in which I've managed to cram all of our in-season wardrobe items for all three of us for the last eight months *pat self on back*.

Finally, a quick follow-up on my last post: I'm famous! I didn't think that Kate would notice my reference to her Kit Kat info, but she did, and she went on to mention me and link here. Thanks, Kate! And, just when I thought I didn't have time for such frivolity as KitKat tasting, when I was at the conbini (convenience store) this morning grabbing some milk and juice, what should grab my eye but the latest limited edition KitKat in grape! I'll get back to you on the taste...

2 comments:

Jane said...

Could I just say that YOU, my dear are THE RIOT! I love you. Thanks for the great post. As usual, I'm still tickled. Wish I could pop over (beam, or whatever) and help you with that closet. I surely don't want to pull ANY all-nighters!

BTW, the arranging that Koji has a propensity for. . .its a sure sign of Accountant blood.

And, wow! you ARE famous! Nice post by Kate. ;-)

xox

erika jane said...

hey jamie, thanks again for letting us drop in on your packing like that the other day! ne, you can get your 'permalink' (i think that's what they call it) if you push that number icon you have at the end of your post right before it says 'posted by jamie christine @'... and link that. is that what you were talking about?
gambatte ne, with the continued packing.