Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Three Sights I Beheld

Three things I saw yesterday that were interesting/strange:

*A young man (20s?) walking through Takadanobaba Station with a sizeable wad of tissue stuffed into one nostril. Is this an Asian phenomenon? There was an older Korean woman who used to walk around the campus of Biola sporting the same "look". I admit, there are occasions when I've caught a severe cold that I FEEL like stuffing tissues in my nostrils and leaving them there. I even indulge the feeling at times...but only in my own home...

*More than one bicycle equipped with a special parasol holder attached to the basket. These holders were being put to use by their invariably-middle-aged-woman owners, in an attempt to ward off the record 36.2 C sun. The parasol is alive and well here, put to good use not only by the forementioned bicycle riders, but also by women of all ages who wish to preserve their white skin. No wonder they aren't so wrinkly!

*Fire up your imagination because I'm not sure I'll be able to find a picture of what I want to describe: a woman wearing a pair of sling-back pumps cushioned her feet with the most unusual pair of "socks" I've seen yet. Since arriving here this time, I've noticed, accepted, purchased and worn "five toe socks" and "foot covers". But the "socks" this woman was wearing didn't have any heels, just a cut out space for her actual heel to get air? Furthermore, they stopped short of her toes, leaving said appendages free as well. I'm trying to be culturally open-minded. But those were weird.

1 comment:

Jane said...

PS The photo of Takadanobaba station was "natsukashi"!