Monday, June 27, 2005

How Was Your Day?!

A couple of weeks ago, all thanks to Yuko and a miracle from our Lord Jesus Himself as far as I can tell, I was able to sign Koji up for nursery school. He'll go once or twice a week for two or three hours at a time, which is ideal for him and me, too. So far he's gone three times, though the first time was just for registration.
This nursery school is a part of the Aiiku Hospital (please click on this link so you can enjoy the "poetic" English phrasing on the front page!) in Hiroo, which is a 30 minute walk from here. We could ride the train there, but the school/hospital isn't that close to any station, so it would still take us 30 minutes to get there. And I can always use the exercise.
The first day I took Koji there to stay for two hours, he didn't hesitate at all. He walked right into the middle of the group of children who are there for the full day, and plopped himself down into a chair as if to say, "I belong here". It was funny! And a relief; no need to calm him down or feel guilty about leaving him!
Well, once July starts and it's hotter than all hotness around here, the kids are going to do some kind of "water play". But, they can't play until they pass some kind of worm test. I had to put a sticker thing on Koji's rear end where the worms might live for two consecutive days, then take the sticker in to be analyzed. Should he pass this test, he will be allowed to join in "water play". In my book, he's already half passed just because he let me put that sticker on him without putting up a fight.
Anyway, Yuko and I went to the Minato City Health Center last Friday to have our tests analyzed. But no. Friday was not a designated day for accepting these tests, and no, we cannot take the responsibility of holding your test until Monday, which is the next day they will be accepted.
Argh.
It's not like Japan is the only country with rules and red tape. But "they"--all bureauracracy types--are SO inflexible. I just want them to at least act sympathetic, but they don't.
So, since Yuko was busy today, I volunteered to take the tests in. It took me an hour to walk to the center, since I had never been there before and I got a bit lost. I finally arrived at 11:50. The guy sitting nearest the counter (there were several people sitting near the counter and they all tried to ignore me, but he failed first) helpfully informed me that the tests are only accepted betweeen 9:30 and 11:30.
Huh? What? The person who helpfully helped us by turning us away on Friday had helpfully explained the tests would be received on Monday after 9:30. That's all she said.
Mr. Nearest to the Counter, in the helpful tradition of the woman we had met Friday, kindly informed me that I would be welcome to return at 1:30, when the tests would again become acceptable.
Unacceptable, is what I said. Wait, that would have been the mature response. Rather, I was so flustrated (this is a word, I know because I just made it up) that I began to nearly cry as I repeatedly said something like, I've already come here twice and I CANNOT return a third time.
Praise the Lord, a third woman who was somewhat more human than Mr. N to the C and the Friday lady intervened. "We can mail you the results" she said. "Fine!" I said. "It's not like I'm in big rush for the results, I just want to submit the @#$%^%^^$#$@@# tests already!" (OK, I didn't actually say @#$%^%^^$#$@@# but maybe I would have if I knew that word in Japanese)
"So if we're going to mail you the results, you have to give us a stamp" she then reasonably explains.
Right. I can't just give her 80 yen and have her take one of out of her drawer?! (this post is descending rapidly into Sarcastic Land, sorry, the retelling of this tale is overcoming me)
No. I must go out to the Family Mart (note the exciting news release at the bottom of the page...well, it's exciting for those fortunate enough to live somewhere near West Hollywood, that's you Erika!) across the street and buy a stamp and bring it back so that Semi-Reasonable Woman and Mr. N to the C can carry out their reluctant mission of posting the results of my son's worm test to me!!!!

Gasp for breath.

So I was going to have Koji's teeth check at the monthly children's dental clinic held at the same Health Center. I said, I was.

2 comments:

Jane said...

So Murphy's Law is international! If you go on Friday, they aren't accpeting the tests that day. If you go at 11:50, they stopped at 11:30, wow. What an experience. Thankfully there was a Mrs. Semi-Reasonable on staff! I think Koji will be a star at Nursery School.

hadashi said...

i accept the challenge! first of all, any store whose official name includes not one, but TWO exclamation points, deserves a scout. secondly, Famima!! claims to be the "newest hot spot this summer." thirdly, when i report on my blog -- as i must -- i am looking forward to quoting their press release which uses the phrase "POP, HIP and Gen X all in one, Famima!!".

stay tuned!