Saturday, July 08, 2006

Celebrating Jenny's Birthday

Jenny wanted to go to the concert at Millennium Park for her birthday, so we got on the train at 7:30 pm, without kids and without cares. Jess, Kristen, Jenny and I planned to get something to eat at the Taste of Chicago. After arriving at Grant Park at 8:35, we went to buy some tickets, only to be told that ticket sales stop at 8:30. Huh? We were helpfully informed that we could return the next day. No thanks!
So we took our business to Cosi instead, grabbing some sandwiches and salads for an al fresco dinner at the Pritzker Pavilion. That turned out to be a good decision; the food was delicious and much cheaper than the fare from the Taste.
Our entertainment, not that we necessarily needed any with such excellent company, was a screening of the Battleship Potemkin. Ignorant and uncultured as I am, I didn't know that this silent movie is "one of the most renowned films in the history of cinema." OK. It was further enhanced by the Grant Park Orchestra's musical accompaniment.
Actually, the highlight for me was when one of the main characters, in a moment of dismay, tore his shirt in half from top to bottom. The sermon at church the week before referred to clothing being torn as a show of grief, and though I've heard that many times in my life, suddenly it struck me funny.
What if we did that now? I don't think I could tear my clothes in half, no matter how upset I was. Not to mention that it would be embarrassing. But I digress.
The real point of this story is, Jenny is a wonderful friend and I hope this coming year is fabulous for her. As far as I'm concerned, this celebration was an excellent way for her --st year to start!

No comments: