Sunday, July 10, 2005

Great to be an Engine

Oh yes it's great to be an engine
As you're steaming along
Huff puff puffing along
Peep peep peeping along


What song is playing in your head right now? You mean, it's not a selection from "Thomas and Friends: Songs and Stories 3"?! Well, I may be just as special as I thought I was after all!
And, I do have the advantage over you. After all, you probably haven't watched the previously mentioned DVD at least twenty-nine times in the last nine days or so. But I have! And that's how I know all the words to "It's Great to be an Engine" and several other Thomas hits.

Lately, I'm ready to read a book or two or ten. This inclination may be connected to the record seven straight days I've just spent here in the room?! And thank you for praying for me, I am feeling much better now (though I am still slightly deaf in my right ear, I'm not suffering because that's not my phone ear)! I plan to break out of this place tomorrow for a wild and crazy trip to the market.

So I was saying that I'm ready to read a book. During these last days, lacking a book and having mostly the computer (and a cute little boy!) for company, I've read more than my fair share of blogs and other websites. Some sound very intellectual and analytical and logical; great for them, but they leave me feeling either bored or inferior, or a little of both. Here's where I remind myself that comparing myself to those bloggers is useless, because God has made them to write/think/BE that way for a reason. Likewise, He has NOT made me in the same vein, again for a reason that He knows better than I (maybe if I was like "that"--does anyone know what I mean when I say "that"--I actually would be boring. Which I like to think I'm not.).

Thankfully, we're off to Boonah, Queensland, Australia on Tuesday night. English is spoken there! Maybe I can get some BOOKS! Though books are heavy, so I'll have to be very particular about what I choose. And I'll have to *mostly* resist the strong pull I'll feel from the magazine racks, because they're almost as heavy as books, and temporarily more entertaining. The key word is temporarily! Before you know it, you've read the whole darn magazine, you've got six thousand thoughts about a hundred different things swirling around in your head, and you're out the hour it took you to get that way.

HA! Let me look back at this post when I get back to the good old USA, land of cheap magazines and see if I'm so scornful then!!

Oh yes it's great to be an engine
As you're steaming along
Huff puff puffing along
Peep peep peeping along


PS. Dear Grandma, if you are reading this, thank you for reading this. I am a shameful granddaughter who doesn't take the time to email you all of the emails I have emailed you inside my head. So let me take it public-- I love you and I'm so thankful you're my grandma!

1 comment:

Jane said...

By the way, were you able to get any books in Boonah??