Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hidden Treasure

A few days ago, I posted a list of the places Koji and I had visited with Mark and Julie last week. It was utterly devoid of explanation; therefore, likely devoid of meaning for most readers. However, the truly curious can investigate sites like Lonely Planet for general information, as many of our destinations are common to the Tokyo tourist.
The first day Mark and Julie were in town, we walked from Shibuya to Harajuku, then down Takeshita Doori and up towards Omote Sando. After they bought some Japanese clothing (you'll need a special appointment if you want to see Mark wearing his jinbei, which is traditional Japanese loungewear), we crossed the street to check out the development under construction there.
Thinking the project was something along the lines of Roppongi Hills, but not being sure, we stopped so I could ask an older gentleman who seemed to be guarding the place. To our suprise, he answered my question in English, and he wasn't faking. He was actually quite fluent. We took a moment to chat with him, and he told us that he had spent some time in the States some 25 years ago. My memory is really bad, so this is story is not as interesting as it would be if I could recount our conversation....at any rate, I was glad we met him because I think he helped make Mark and Julie feel welcome.
The next day, after viewing Tokyo from the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building and eating lots of Indian food at Maharajah on Southern Terrace, we made a great discovery. Well, it's old news for plenty of people in Tokyo, but over the almost 10 total years I've lived here, I had never been to Shinjuku Gyoen . What a beautiful, serene place! If you don't peer at the tall office buildings profiled in the horizon yonder, it's possible to believe you are somewhere in the Japanese countryside. With the cute turtles (time for a little Japanese lesson: ka-me=turtle) and koi in the ponds and super clean restrooms complete with changing tables, you can bet that Koji and I will be back there soon.
Thanks, Mark and Julie! You helped us discover hidden treasure right in our own backyard.

No comments: