Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Suspicious, or Just Stylish?

Who knows why it took me two weeks to notice, but it just struck me today as strange that when we rent a DVD at Tsutaya (http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/index.zhtml), they put it into a small black canvas tote bag. Not only are we borrowing the movie, but also the tote bag? What would they do if we decided to keep their bag? This may sound like a silly question, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, because it's a pretty nice bag.
You would never see Blockbuster (http://www.blockbuster.com/homepages/LoadBlockbusterHomepage.action) providing this kind of service. No matter how many DVDs you rented at once, you would be on your own for somehow arranging them into a stack and transporting them to your car without creating some kind of domino-like disaster along the way.
The key word here that helps us, or at least me, I'm the slow one here!, to understand the function of the black bag is "CAR". When one is moving around town by car, bags are not necessary. The car is your bag, or can be if you choose. Even if a person was so organized as to bring their own little black tote bag to Blockbuster, no one else would be impressed, for the bag would be rendered invisible once stowed in the car.
Plenty of people have cars here, but I am not one of them so I desperately need and appreciate Tsutaya's little black tote bag, and even hope it makes me somewhat stylish. But I have to air the suspicious side of my thoughts, which is that they are perhaps providing this bag for other reasons than convenience. Privacy, perhaps? Others have no idea what you have rented when you are all schlepping the same bag!
My suspicious theory doesn't actually hold much more water than the tote bag would though: DVDs are just silver discs with tiny black writing and you would need a magnifying glass and a big nosy streak to be able to see what others are renting, since Tsutaya seems to package most rental DVDs in clear CD type cases.
Now that I've worked out just what a classy, fashionable thing it is to rent a DVD here in Tokyo, I'd better get myself over to Tsutaya!

No comments: