Saturday, September 01, 2007

Actually, I'm Not the Oldest Around Here

We celebrated Aogu's 36th birthday with a family dinner at Merle's in Evanston.

One thing I'll never forget about that dinner: the entire time we were eating, Izumi kept pointing off to her right. She had a puzzled/frightened look on her face, and she made a kind of squeaky protest sound to match the expression. Every time she did it, I looked behind me to see what she was upset about, but the people sitting there weren't remarkable. Once she continued to protest after they left, I realized that the source of the trauma was a stag head hanging on the far wall! If you look closely at this picture, you should be able to see it just to my left. Poor baby, she is so afraid of animals!

One day later, I was finally able to serve up Aogu's favorite dessert: cheesecake. This one is from a Cake Bible recipe. I don't normally care for cheesecake, and even I liked this one, so I guess it was a winner.

Happy Birthday, dear Aogu; I hope this year is significant and full of blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ollie thanks you for some new pictures to look at! And birthday pictures that include dessert are even better. Happy Birthday Aogu!

Jane said...

Oh what grand birthday pictures. You all look so good. Everybody is growing up. And that LOVELY cake with the curly que candles, is lovely to look at and must have been so fun to eat. Thanks for the great post and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AOGU. We love you.
C and J.