Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Old Fogeys?

Yesterday at 2.30 p.m. we made a visit to the Jesus LifeHouse International Church (http://www.jesuslifehouse.com/english/index.htm). It's closely connected with the Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia. Sure enough, there were quite a few Australians there, and within moments of meeting them and hearing them speak, I could feel my speech morphing a bit. I'm always wanting some other kind of accent!
In addition to Australians, there were a number of Japanese in attendance, and people from other countries as well, I'm sure (myself, for example). Though I'm not good at estimating numbers, I'd say there were close to 100 people there. That surprised me a bit, as I knew the church has only been going for less than three years.
The other thing that surprised me was how OLD I was! Most of the people there looked to be university students to mid-20s. Aogu and I were definitely on the aged side of things. And that was a strange feeling. Even at the Vineyard Christian Church Evanston www.evanstonvineyard.org, the average age is supposedly 30 or 31, so we console ourselves with the knowledge that we are still only a year or two north of average! No such comfort will be found at the Jesus Life House!
Overall, though, we had a pretty positive first experience. We met some nice folks and we enjoyed worshiping in a congregation; though I have to admit that we probably would have needed an absolutely terrible experience to be put off going again. After all, it's just a five minute walk from here!

No comments: