Thursday, June 07, 2012

WIWW: Doozy

Greetings from the long lost me. And believe me, I am feeling a little lost. Last Friday was my girls' last day of preschool and it was a doozy. In the fine tradition of their school, specifically the mamas of the school, we were there from 9 am until 9 pm. The morning and early afternoon were full of official activities: preschool graduation ceremony, kids on stage for a song, the usual tear-drenched slide show dedicated to the graduates. Which reminds me to report this fact: my continually amazing three years and two months old daughter got up on the stage with her class. She then proceeded to calmly stand in her spot and sing along with the class, for the duration of the performance. Sounds like no big deal, but let me repeat: SHE IS THREE. Her teachers were exclaiming about it after the fact, as well. Apparently they were mentally prepared, expecting her to be a wild card. If only she would go to bed so calmly. Back to the topic at hand: from two-ish in the afternoon when the official stuff was over, Playtime began. And it must be capitalized because it is Serious. What else to call a gathering which is essentially a six or seven hour playmate with all of your school friends? In the midst of it all, I ended up getting us--and by us I mean approximately 85 people of various sizes and appetites--dinner from Costco. Let me share the secret of buying food for, or ordering at a restaurant for, a large number of people. It's this: establish a per-person budget that is realistic for your venue. For example, with the help of Costco's budget friendly food court and gigantic but inexpensive deli salads, one should be able to eat up for about six dollars. You can do the math, and I'll tell you this: we had more than enough, and each adult only paid six dollars. It's now the middle of the first week of summer break for the girls. Remember, or let me tell you if you didn't know: Koji is still in school until July 22, Japanese-style. Which works for us, and causes me to walk around with a giant question mark over my head. My question is this: what will it take for the American education system to change? Whoa. Didn't mean it, but I may have inadvertently introduced a whole other topic that is in outer space, it's so far beyond the scope of this post.
On to the Wednesday report, and if I don't hurry, it won't be Wednesday anymore: I couldn't get excited about my wardrobe this week so for several days I didn't even take my picture. Then, when I did, I was back into last week's rut of knit skirt and Tshirt. Still, when polka dots are involved, I am pleased. The above outfit was for Monday, 6/4. Which was also my sister's birthday. Happy Day to You, Laurs!
This outfit turned out well considering the context: I threw the components into my bag and then threw them on in the locker room when I was done with tennis. Same shoes as the day before, I was just too lazy to put them on at 10 pm last night when I realized I need a photo.
Today. Most of my trousers and I are not on good terms at the moment, thanks to the excessive driving and snacking while driving I've done lately (but Aogu and I just talked about implementing a no-eating-anything in the car policy, which might help). However, I squooshed myself into this pair because I was planning to take the girls ice skating. And, there you have it, folks. Good night! pleated poppy

No comments: